Is inspirational romance your writing niche? Check out the “Hearts Crossing” Story Contest at White Rose Publishing. This Christian romance sister site to The Wild Rose and Wilder Rose Presses will offer an eBook publishing contract to the winner of the competition.
Similar to the current “Cover Seeks Author” writing competition at Pink Petal Books, contest entrants are instructed to draw inspiration from a pre-prepared book cover with the title “Hearts Crossing.” The only thing missing from the cover is the winning author’s name. In a twist on this type of competition, authors must first fill in the blanks in a synopsis provided by the publisher, and then write a novella based on the customized storyline they create.
The basic rules:
- Finished word-length must be between 20,000 and 25,000
- Story must be have a contemporary setting
- Must be an original, never-before published work, and you must own the rights to it.
- Entries must not stray from the synopsis except where blanks are left for you to fill in.
- Your hero and heroine must look like the couple on the cover
- Entries must arrive on or before 30 September 2009
The winner’s novella will be released in 2010 by White Rose. Complete rules, plus the synopsis, are included on the contest page. It’s advised to take a peek at the publisher’s normal submission guidelines before entering, since these also apply.
One caveat: though I like the idea of story-specific writing contests—what author wouldn’t love to see their name on a gorgeous cover—such competitions have just one winner. What will you do with your finished novella if you aren’t that winner? Luckily, the synopsis plot in this case is general enough so that unique and different stories have the potential to emerge, but in order to sell your novella elsewhere, be prepared to do some revision.